With a renewed enthusiasm for photography and local history, I set out this blog as a record of my experiences with images and narratives. It is my hope that you find something of interest on this site. Please feel free to contact me for more information on any of the posts. You can see a comprehensive list of my blogs at my website :- http://www.davidnurse.co.uk

Amelia Earhart and Burry Port

Today finally I had the chance to get out and about with my camera.
I went an hour west down the coast to a small town called Burry Port.
I have passed this place many times in the past and not stopped, something I now regret.
 
It is a lovely little town and I will certainly visit again soon.
 
On the harbourside, there was this old Buoy and I was interested to read the story behind it.
 
It seems that on June 17th 1928 Amelia Earhart took off from Newfoundland and on June 18th, exactly 20 hours and 40 minutes later she landed here in this small Welsh port in a type of seaplane known as a floatplane. This made her the first woman to be flown across the Atlantic.
 
 
Amelia Earhart and Burry Port

 
This is the Buoy that her seaplane named Friendship was moored to.
 
Being interviewed post landing Amelia said "Shultz did all the flying, had to. I was just baggage, like a sack of potatoes" she added "maybe someday I'll try it alone", a feat, of course, she later completed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

About Me

Bridgend, United Kingdom
A renewed interest in photography and local history.

Contact Me

Name

Email *

Message *

Followers